Vitamin Overdose

As a somewhat health-conscious society, we as a people are concerned with getting our full requirements of every vitamin and mineral necessary to have a healthy life. Cereal boxes print the number of minerals and vitamins in them on the front of the box; meal replacement shakes do the same on their cans. What many people don’t realize is that the multi-vitamin supplements that are sold over the counter frequently have much higher levels of ingredients than are necessary.

Many people think that this is not a bad thing, as vitamins and minerals are all necessary. It is necessary to point out that with vitamins, it is possible to have too much of a good thing. When vitamins are taken in quantities that are excessively high, it is possible to experience overdose symptoms, just like with any medication.

Vitamin overdose is the accidental or intentional consumption of more than the recommended quantity of different vitamins. This can lead to toxic symptoms. Symptoms of toxicity include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, and flushing. It is recommended that anyone who suspects he or she may have overdosed on a vitamin contact poison control immediately.

In 2005 alone, there were 62,446 cases of overdose on various types of vitamins that were reported to poison control centers across the United States. In addition, iron overdose is one of the leading causes of poisoning deaths in children under the age of 6 and infants.

If your life has been adversely affected by the use of over-the-counter multivitamins, contact the Wausau vitamin overdose lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 1-800-248-0171 for an evaluation of your case.