Did you know the second leading cause of lung cancer is radon? Radon is natural radioactive gas that comes from the earth. While in very small quantities it is not dangerous, in excess, it causes cancer. It is responsible for claiming 20,000 lives annually.
Since radon cannot be smelled nor seen, most people are not aware it is a problem. People can live in dangerous home for years with no realization of the risk. Testing your home for radon is not expensive, and it is easy. If you detect a radon level of 4 pci/L or more, you can mitigate the radon.
Both the U.S. Surgeon General and the EPA urge all homes be tested for radon. You can test your home yourself or hire a professional. The National Safety council offers radon tests kits. Call 1-800-SOS-RADON today to get yours. In addition, most home improvement stores will have test kits for sale. If you wish to hire a professional, your state radon office will be able to give you a list of contractors.
Do not risk your family’s health by not testing your home. Lung cancer has one of the lowest survival rates of all forms of cancer. Only 11 to 15 percent of patients will live 5 years past their diagnosis. Lung cancer caused by radon is preventable. All that is required it a mitigation system.