Mercury Poisoning

Mercury poisoning is a disease caused by exposure to mercury or it toxic compounds. It is a cumulative heavy metal poison which means that the metal must accumulate to be particularly harmful. It occurs as an element, inorganically as a salt, and organically as organomercury compounds. The three forms of mercury vary in their effects and in the way they are absorbed and metabolized.

With enough exposure, all mercury-based compounds can damage the central nervous system and other organs or organ systems. Organ systems that can be damaged by mercury include the gastrointestinal tract and the endocrine system. The brain and liver are particularly susceptible to mercury poisoning.

When a person is suffering from mercury poisoning, sensory impairment, disturbed sensation, and a loss of coordination are common symptoms. The type and degree of the symptoms depend on the individual toxin, the amount in the dose, the method of exposure, and the duration of exposure. If exposure and poisoning go on long enough, it can lead to brain damage and death.

In humans, consumption if fish is the most common and significant sour of ingestion-related poisoning. Mercury is also present in the atmosphere from the burning of coal. Roughly 50% of all atmospheric mercury is tied to burning coal. The other 50% of the atmospheric mercury is due to the natural eruption of volcanoes.

If you or someone you know has been poisoned by mercury, contact the Wausau mercury poisoning lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 to discuss your case and to determine your legal options.