Carbon monoxide exposure causes over 400 deaths each year in the United States. In addition, over 4,000 people are hospitalized, and 20,000 people are brought to emergency rooms because of exposure. Carbon monoxide is a highly toxic substance, and therefore it is important to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to reduce your risk of exposure.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden, serious injury and even death when inhaled. It is especially dangerous to young children, the elderly, and those already suffering from other medical complications. If a person is exposed to carbon monoxide, he or she may experience:
At high levels of exposure, a person may even lose consciousness and can die. If a person begins to show these symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention immediately in order to prevent further complications.
Carbon monoxide is produced from fuel-burning appliances such as:
Malfunctioning equipment, or equipment that is used improperly, can cause the gas to gather in poorly-ventilated areas. To protect yourself and your family, you should consider purchasing a carbon monoxide detector, which will sound an alarm when it detects an unsafe level of gas.
If you or a loved one has been injured because of carbon monoxide exposure from a malfunctioning or improperly-labeled appliance, you may be eligible to receive financial compensation for your losses. Contact the Wausau personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 to discuss your legal options.